Saturday 9 March 2013

The Chong's CNY

By: Farah Nabilah

Chong TzinNui is a local Chinese who never fails to celebrate New Year with her family all the 40 years of her life.

When asked how she felt about Chinese New Year in her childhood compared with the present, she laughed and said, “It's the same yet it feels different, because I was a child then and am an adult now.

“Children merely watch cartoons, play with their cousins and savor the food.

“As adults, we shoulder the heavier task of hosting the gatherings, but to see the family enjoying themselves is rewarding.”

Gambling on CNY- a tradition that lasted for decades.

Chong said that apart from that, firecrackers from then and now is different.

There are more varieties of firecrackers now, and have been given a tinge of modernity.

“Back then when I was a kid I only ate and played with my cousins.

“Now that I am married with children, I am the one who has to serve the family.”

Apart from eating, Chong has picked up gambling through the years.

“Gambling is a must when we gather together in Chinese New Year.

“But we don’t go hardcore,” she said with a laugh.

Preparing for the firecrackers night.

Chong’s family spent their first night at home playing firecrackers and tucking in to a big feast together.

“Steamboat is a must. It is essential to have them on our dinner table.

“My mother will prepare the soup while my cousins and I will serve the seafood, fish and chicken balls, besides plenty of vegetables.

“There were times we would eat out, however.

“There are so many good restaurants outside and sometimes we are just too tired to cook as we spend most of the day working.

“Hence, we go out to eat.”

However, Chong said eating out and dining is completely different experiences.

“Dinner at home is different, we be relaxed, wear comfortable clothes and talk as loud as we like.

“We feel closer to each other.

“Well, things change and sometimes we want a change but definitely spending time at home is better,” added Chong.

Steamboat as reunion dinner.

On the second day, Chong’s family will go out to have Dim Sum for breakfast.

“My mother loves Dim Sum so much that every morning during Chinese New Year we will have them.

“When I was a kid, my parents will bring us to eat dim sum and we will order at least 40 baskets.

“We love dim sum so much,” says Chong excitedly.

Dim sum galore.
“I remember 30 years ago, I celebrated Chinese New Year to the fullest.

“Every day I would cycle from house to house to visit my cousins, friends, and neighbors to get ‘Ang Pow’.

“Now I am the one to hand out the red packets.

“Usually on the third or fourth day we will resume work.

“On the bright side, I can spend the rest of the festival with my colleagues and friends.”

“Nevertheless, Chinese New Year is a meaningful and joyful celebration no matter your age because if you can keep the tradition, spending it with your loved ones, and just be happy on that day, you will have the same feeling over and over again or if you are lucky, you will get a better one,” Chong says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment