Saturday 9 March 2013

Students ‘see’ Shah Fareez as Segi’s top Optometry lecturer

By: Amanda Imani

Favorite optometry lecturer.

With a smile always present upon his face, the optometry student’s favorite lecturer, Shah Farez Othman said “Dedication, determination and passion is all you need.”

“I treat students how they should be treated, how I’d like to be treated. 

You get what you give.”

Born on the 26th of February 1976 in Assunta Hospital, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Shah is also a current consultant optometrist, Head of Professional Studies, Chief of Co-Management Clinic and the Laboratory Head of Optics and Visual Science Lab for, SEGi Eye Care department in SEGi University.

He said he is pleasantly surprised and honored being voted the most popular lecturer in the optometry faculty of Segi University.

He believes that teaching should come from the heart.

After many years of lecturing, he is happy with the decision he made to start teaching.

“There is nothing quite like it,” he says. 

Shah says that giving knowledge and sharing his experience with his students are one of the many things in life he enjoys.

When asked if he planned on being a lecturer “Initially no, I turned up joining academia after getting bored of the routine clinical work in hospitals and in private practice.”

“Optometry was one of my ambitions besides medicine and dentistry.

“My current job includes teaching, seeing patients in clinic, doing research, writing publications and involve working with consultants.

“Even though it is not a rewarding profession in terms of money, I have a strong passion about working in academia.”

In his free time, he likes to play chess, read, cycle and collect books.

He also speaks three languages; Malay, English and Arabic.

“One of the best highlights in my career was when my manuscript got accepted for publications.

“I felt very proud to be one of the little contributors in academia,” he said.

He says juggling between teaching and research is probably one of the hardest parts of his job, especially when one is working in a teaching driven institution.

“A position as a university lecturer is not just about teaching.

For a lecturer, teaching is everybody’s business.

“What makes an academician different is his embark on research,” he said.

Blessed with a beautiful family, this 37-year-old is confident that his hard work and effort paid off back when he was in his tertiary education.

“I’ve never really been the hardworking type of student. I never got all A’s but I was persistent.

“I knew what I was passionate about teaching.

“I knew what I wanted to be a practicing optometrist.”

Having graduated from University Kebangsaan Malaya (UKM) with Honors in Optometry in the year 1999, this father of four is very proud of where he came from.

He then did his Masters in Health Sciences (Optometry) from the year 2005 to 2010.

He is currently a candidate in completing his Doctorate in Philosophy (Applied Optics) in Universiti Pertanian Malaysia (UPM).

“I grew up with my siblings. My parents were regular, working, middle class people.

“I had a very balanced and fulfilled life growing up.”

Shah’s students had nothing but good things to say about their favorite lecturer.

“He’s really fun! The way he teaches is very hands-on and very easy-going.

“He is very accessible and responsible as a lecturer,” said Nurul Alya, 21.

“I really like the way he teaches because he is understanding.

“Not all students can cope with the workload given sometimes.

“Having him as one of my lecturers really taught me to be patient in general,” said Ahmad Raqim, 23.

“I am actively involved in students’ organizations since school days, which significantly contributed to my leadership capability and management skills.

“My technical know-how has been developed through postgraduate study and professional service, specializing in clinical optometry.

“In addition I have also developed management, administrative and financial literacy through my career pathway.

“My interest in research, teaching and clinical works have been further enhanced by attending professional courses, membership in professional organizations, reading and intellectual discourse,” he says confidently.

This dedicated lecturer is also takes religion very seriously.

When asked to state some fun facts about himself, he said that as a Muslim, he love to see other Muslims devote themself to God.

No matter what our professions are, student or lecturer, we need to know that everything that we do in this world is related to hereafter.

He also says this is the principle he lives by; he thinks all humans are of the same standard in this temporary world.

Thus, he treats his students no different than how he would like to be treated by his colleagues and peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment