Saturday 9 March 2013

Snakes and fish fill our night

By: Nadira Azhar

“I was shouting with tears of joy!” exclaimed Madam Kim, 63-years old retiree, on her adolescent experience during the festive season of Chinese New Year.

It was the year of the snake as well, but this was 48 years ago, to be exact. 

She remembers one incident very vividly.

Madam Kim explains, “I remember on the eve of Chinese New Year, while the women, including myself, were cooking the big family meal for dinner, my brothers and father, were playing with firecrackers, lighting up the whole neighborhood.

“It was all fun and games, until my 9-year-old little brother, Jun’s scream pierced the joyful atmosphere.

“Everyone could hear his cries, but no one could see where he was.

“Even my ‘papa’ (father) could not locate where he was initially.

“Suddenly, he screamed again, and as we ran towards his voice, we found him lying on the ground outside the yard, face down.

“Everyone’s face turned blue with anxiety as they saw Jun lying still.

“My father came up to him, and BAM!

“Jun jumped up, and shouted gleefully to the family, carrying a dead snake in his hands.”

“It’s the year of the snake!

“And I have a snake! Yeay! laughed Jun.

“What seemed to be funny to him were not at all our reactions towards his prank.

“He, of course, was punished by my father.

“However, once the punishment was over, it quickly became the joke of the day.

“I was so worried for my brother, afraid something bad had happened to him, but it was just him pulling a prank on us.

“I remember this year quite well. 

“My mother had sewn me the most beautiful red cheongsam I had ever worn and I was ready to kick-start the New Year.

“All my relatives had come down to my grandparent’s house in the small village of Kulai near Johor Bahru," Madam Kim reminisced. 

Cheongsam dresses hand-sewn back in 1960s.

Her eyes glowed with happiness as she continued.

The fireworks were different back then.

“We did not have all these fancy and grand firecrackers.

“However, the ones we had were enough.

“Their loud BOOMs gave us as much excitement and thrill as these modern ones.

“I had my fair share of firecrackers, but they were always the boys' favorite, so I left it to them to enjoy,” she said.

I was mostly in the kitchen with my mother, grandmother, my aunts and all my girl cousins.

“We would serve up a big feast on the eve; we call it the ‘30th dinner’.

“We would have a prosperous dinner that evening.

“A variety of dishes were served.  

“Fish is a must. In Chinese, fish translates to yuu, which means ‘balance’.

“Some people say that every year should be a balance of wealth, health, and good positive energy, which should always be brought forward to the next Lunar year.

“Prawn, chicken and duck, my favorite, were also up for grabs!

“An abundance of colorful mixed vegetables decorated the table, with sweet tau fu fa served as our dessert.

“Soft drinks were also a favorite for all ages around our table.

“Everything was, oh so, delicious!” said Madam Kim while making the gesture of kissing her finger tips.

“Even though the economy back then was not so good, we still celebrated Chinese New Year with a new ray of hope.

“We would never miss a single prosperous meal during the ‘30th night’ of CNY,” she reflected.

“As time moves passes, so does the culture.

“We do not do things the way we used to.

“Although there are bright lights all around, the traditions have changed.

“Other things become important instead of the important things in life such as family, friends, health and most importantly, laughter.”


An old picture taken on the eve on CNY.

Madam Kim snaps back from her reminiscence,

“Now my younger brother has his own little snake to worry about.

“My nephew, Alex is a splitting image of Jun.

“He is a jokester, just like his father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment