Sunday 27 January 2013

Magic Edison: A moment of illusion

By: Rachel Chew

“Success to me is when my ‘Signature’ changes to ‘Autograph’.”

Currently single, 21 year old Edison Lim Huang Xian is a professional magician who started performing magic in public at a young age of 16.

With great support and encouragement from his family, his popularity grew rapidly since he appeared on China Press and NTV7 as a guest performer in 2010.

“Performing at public events and on live television programs is totally different especially when it's recorded in HD,” he laughed when recalling his first performance on live.

“HD recordings are so crisp and clear that you cannot afford to make a single mistake.”

In the following years, he gained more exposure through media coverage from radio stations, television programs and local press after he became the champion of a talent competition.


Edison won the champion of UTAR Talent Night in year 2011

He was then honored to be invited to be a guest performer at one of the Asia’s largest event- the India Largest Science and Technology Festival on January 2013.

“This opportunity to perform at an international event is an exciting and thrilling experience for me,” he said.


Audiences in Mumbai were entertained by Edison's performance

Despite his current success, he became depressed after muddling up his tricks in his initial performances.

“Eventually I learn from my mistakes. I plan my performance routine in detail, predict every possible error and formulate backup plans for every trick I perform,” he said.

He says “the fundamental thing of a professional magician is that you are able to cover up and keep your audiences entertained at the end of the day.”


Edison performing his favorite rubber band trick

While many magicians aim to be the second David Copperfield, Edison has a different perspective.

“My idol is David Copperfield. He’s really amazing but I don’t aim to be the second David Copperfield,” he said.


Edison's Magic Snow

“I believe there’s a certain personality that every person has,” he explained.

“The way you look, the way you smile, the way you carry yourself, the way you demonstrate your style, the way you interact with your audience is the ‘you’.”

“And there will only be one ‘you’ in this world,” he said. 

“So, I’m going to be myself, Magic Edison. I hope people will like who I am.”

For more information and updates regarding Edison Lim upcoming events and performance,

LIKE him on Facebook

or

Visit his Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment