Monday 28 January 2013

In the spirit of Brenda

By: Lee Chia Chee


Kiss Goodbye Walk Campaign for breast cancer

Chai Ker Lik set up Brenda Chiah’s Charity Fund on December 14, 2012 in memory of his beloved wife’s birthday on December 8.

He aims to help the underprivileged entangled with financial difficulty to fight cancer.

Adwin Choo, a former student of Chai says “Chai’s perseverance and determination to stay optimistic inspires me.

“It is hard to imagine that he is still grieving over Brenda’s death, except from the comments he posts on Facebook from time to time.”



Chai is mourning in front of Brenda's new home

Chai confesses “I am in constant sadness, depressed and miss her very much – even as a man, I shed tears because I miss her so.


“Luckily, I have Cookies with me.”

Cookie's first birthday at a pet restaurant

“Cookies is Brenda’s favorite pet.

“It accompanied her most of the time when I was away working.

“Now that Brenda is gone, I immerse myself in acting as well as spending my leisurely time interacting with Cookies,” he explained.

“Playing with Cookies eases my pain.

"Brenda is by my side when I'm playing with Cookies"


“Somehow, I can still feel Brenda is by my side.”

The late Brenda Chiah Boon Hoai, 32 was an actress.

She acted in local Chinese dramas My Kampong Days, The Beautiful Scents, Love is All Around, and Tribulations of Life.



An hour before Brenda became Mrs. Chai

Her lost battle with cancer has left her long time lover and new husband in search for a greater meaning in life.

Chai says that when Brenda started acting, she was constantly accused of being an ugly, undeveloped actress who did not deserve the opportunity to be an actress.

“She did not cry at these harsh criticism thrown at her instead did her very best to improve herself by taking up performing courses,” Chai recalled.

Brenda was diagnosed with cancer in June 2011.
In spite of that, Chai insisted on tying the knot with her in January the following year.

However, Brenda passed away some eight months later from breast cancer relapse.



True love of Chai equals to Brenda Chiah Boon Hoai

Brenda’s best friend, Chris Tong in his reverie said “Chai and Brenda kept her condition a secret, they only shared their plight with those they were close to.”

The coupled met some 10 years ago and started going out while shooting an advertisement together.

Chai, himself an actor, picked up the title of Favorite Actor at the Malaysia Golden Awards in 2012.



Chai won Favorite Actor at 2012 Malaysia Golden Awards

“I look at it as Brenda has now left for a trip and I thank those who have expressed their concern for me.

“As I have promised her – I will move on, have a better life, and continue my acting career because these are things which Brenda admires in me,” Chai declares.

Chai feels that Brenda is flawless, perfect and that he was lucky to experience being married to her despite it being a short one.

His love for her from the start is evident “I want to hold her forever even if someone chops off my hands.”



"Will you marry me again in our next life, Brenda?"

“Throughout these eight years, we seldom argued – I would say that 99 percent of time I spent with her was all happy moments,” he adds while stroking Cookies.

“I will love Brenda forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment