Sunday 27 January 2013

Ernest Zacharevic: The art maverick

By: Winford Tan

Ernest Zacharevic is the artist behind the mural art pieces on several walls in George Town, Penang.

His artwork is an inspiration to many aspiring artists and art enthusiasts.

The young talented Lithuanian street artist: Ernest Zacharevic
His work has become a major tourist attraction.

Ernest Zacharevic is a Lithuanian street artist currently living in George Town. 

He started his job as a mural artist after he graduated from Middlesex University, London, UK.

The mural art work that makes him famous located in George Town, Penang
He studied in National School of Arts in Lithuania and transferred to Vilnius Art Academy, also in Lithuania enrolled in the Graphic Arts and Print Making course. 

Upon graduating, he went travelling and took his art along with him.

"But mural art wasn’t in my list when I first started doing art pieces. 

"The first thing I tried was video graphic art. It’s something like shooting a film, but in an artistic way.

"It’s much more complicated compared to mural art as it requires a lot of time and energy in the editing part."

This artwork was sponsor by Toyota to create awareness of reversing vehicles in Brussels, Rue Le Page
"I did not plan anything, including winding up here in Penang. 

"My initial plan was to visit my friend for a weekend, and it turned into a week, then 2 weeks, and then a month and then a few months. 

"I have never left since."

"I have to travel around and sometimes I had to leave, but every single time I left Penang, my subconscious mind asks me to go back again."

"So, I would come back for a few months again before I leave this place the next time.

Another masterpiece located in Clan Jetty, Penang
"Even if I go home, like for a month, at some point I realize that I want to go back to Penang. 

"I just cannot leave this place", says Ernest.

He enjoyed his work art although he admits that it is tough.

According to Ernest, his parents once asked him a question that made him think: "What if your client does not pay you after you have done your work?"

He says it is always important to enjoy what you are doing because if you dislike what you are doing, you would not do a good job.

The motorcycle boy by Ernest Zacharevic
Many people do things which they do not really enjoy all for the sake of money or to make ends-meet. 

They, he says, are not truly living life.

"If we do not enjoy what we do now and currently, then when would it be?"

"Being an artist or any job related to art is a very difficult job as you might spend most of your time making art for free." said Ernerst.

Ernest's latest masterpiece is located at Art Square, Bangsar
"At the end of the day, there might be no one who appreciates what you’ve done and you may regret it in the future." he continued.

"Still, it is very important to choose a job that you enjoy because you might have the same routine every day throughout your working life," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment